Top | Register | Preferences | Suggest Discussion | Discussion Policy | Log In

Discussion group:  NewsTop   Discussion group:  News News    Discussion Topic: Dog Dyeing Dispute Dog Dyeing Dispute

<< previous (newer) discussion next (older) discussion >>

Moderated by dennews   Reply to this DiscussionAdd to this Discussion  
Dog Dyeing Dispute
T O P I C Discussion Started: 03-11-2008, 4:20 PM Add to the Discussion
Q
U
E
S
T
I
O
N
A Boulder woman facing a $1,000 fine for dyeing her poodle pink has hired a lawyer to fight the charge in court. Joy Douglas says she dyed her dog Cici to call attention to breast cancer. She says she used beet juice and Kool-Aid. She was ticketed March 1st under a Boulder ordinance that makes it illegal to dye animals. The ordinance is designed to discourage people from dyeing rabbits and chicks for Easter.

Should Cici's owner have been ticketed or should the law be changed?

View Messages: [newest first] | [oldest first]
tangymarie 05-13-2008, 9:17 PM Add to the Discussion
Personally what is wrong with dying dogs? As long as the dye doesn't irritate the dog or it's skin. What's the bother? Lots of people do this and have been doing it for years. I dye my poodle. Are they gonna fine me? That's just crazy and they call this a free country.

jbollen 05-13-2008, 12:29 PM Add to the Discussion
i walked by a hair salon in boulder once and they had a cute dog who "worked there" with a pink streak on her head. it was cute, not cruel. i bet if that dog was a girl in high school she would have dyed her hair pink too

blunder1 04-07-2008, 4:28 PM Add to the Discussion
How will animal cruelty laws ever have any meaning when frivolous issues like this get prosecuted?

"there is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance --- that principle is contempt prior to investigation." Herbert Spencer

poodles2 03-20-2008, 7:39 PM Add to the Discussion
I too, have safely colored poodles that are therapy dogs and are scheduled by appointment to appear at Children's hospitals, nursing homes, schools, local events such as parades, fund raisers, etc. Most people love them. My dogs absolutely love the attention and the results are 99% of the time positive. My prettied poodles have a full schedule at times. Weather or not Joy has a questionable reputation or was really dying Cici for breast cancer awareness is not the issue. I have to ask, why does it make a difference?? Cici is colored blind and I'm sure does not feel shame. On the contrary, she probably enjoys the attention, she gets extra loves. As for harmful, come on. My oldest Standard poodle is unaffected and acts like a puppy at 9 years old. She has never had any negative longterm or shorterm reactions to the temporary dyes, she's happy and has no personality disorders nor do any of my poodles. Our vet gives all of my dogs a clean bill of health and predicts they will live for many more healthy years. And Cici should too if she is dyed carefully and taken care of properly.

Sincerely, poodles2

aftetm 03-16-2008, 2:27 PM Add to the Discussion
Please do not donate your money through Joy Douglas or "Cici the breast-cancer dog." There is a lot of controversy as to if Zing Hair and Joy Douglas have ever donated to breast cancer awareness.

I've been to Zing Salon more than once, and from what I've seen it has nothing to do with breast cancer awareness.

If you'd like to donate to the cause, please use a reputable medium (such as www.komen.org). Please do not go through this woman--at least until she's able to prove a legitimate donation history.

Thanks.

craaz 03-14-2008, 7:21 AM Add to the Discussion
THIS IS NOT FOR BREAST CANCER AWARENESS!!!! Joy Douglas has had most all of her emplyees help her dye her dogs all kinds of colors using Manic Panic and other semi-permanent hair colors used on people in the salon. She had a jar on the counter to raise money for breast cancer research and would use the money to buy herself lunch, booze and drugs. She is a liar who believes she is above the law and wants out of a ticket. Take it from the people who really know her and have worked for her.

k9lover 03-13-2008, 11:20 AM Add to the Discussion
Hey Denver H.S., you aren't animal welfare! Animal welfare equals good animal husbandry. Which, BTW good dog owners follow. You are ANIMAL RIGHTS and are not concerned about husbandry so get off the pink dogs back!! I bleach my hair with chemicals and use food coloring when I wish to tint one of my dogs for an event..Maybe you should protect me from myself and site the hair bleach company Or go after the food coloring manufacturer instead of the dog owner. This lady has every right to tint her dog. She isn't dumping a carton of chicks or baby bunnies into a dye vat! Animal owners of Denver and Colorado be very careful, you have allowed the Animal Rights Zealots TOO MUCH FREEDOM in your city and state! k9lover

Without dogs), life is just a series of dates by which bills must be paid.

katiedid13 03-12-2008, 11:53 PM Add to the Discussion
Technically - staining and dyeing are two different operations! Shame the police have nothing better to do - like nailing taggers and gangbangers and rapists. OHhhh - - you don't HAVE those - only people who stain white dogs are criminals???

Furcorners 03-12-2008, 10:01 PM Add to the Discussion
I'm a double mastectomee and a fourteen-year breast cancer survivor. My opinion should, therefore, be the alpha and omega here. The dog was dyed pink in the effort of promoting BREAST CANCER AWARENESS, so what's the puzzle? The dye is not permanent and doesn't damage the dog in any way. Stop the ANIMAL RIGHTS STUPIDITY and focus, instead, on ANIMAL WELFARE and BREAST CANCER AWARENESS AND SUPPORT. The city looks rather, uh, mis-guided in pushing this issue. My advice is to STOP spending money on prosecuting this case and give the otherwise mis-spent funds to ANIMAL WELFARE AND RESCUE ORGANIZATIONS and BREAST CANCER AWARENESS AND SUPPORT EFFORTS. How does the world recover after animal rights groups do their best to hold our commonsense hostage? They're managing to prove how dumb we all must be to allow their blather to affect us! Common sense must prevail again and soon. Start here and now by letting this case go.

N. Wright North Texas

khryseos 03-12-2008, 5:34 PM Add to the Discussion
"Officials at the Humane Society ...."

Thank goodness these 'officials' don't carry weapons to enforce their Animal Rights 'Humane' efforts. Be afraid. Be very afraid for your animals!

Where can I donate to help BC Awareness in CiCi's name?

~ khryseos

Page 1 of 4 << Prev Page | Next Page >>