Top | Register | Preferences | Suggest Discussion | Discussion Policy | Log In

Discussion group:  NewsTop   Discussion group:  News News    Discussion Topic: Mountain Lion Killing Mountain Lion Killing

<< previous (newer) discussion next (older) discussion >>

Moderated by dennews   Reply to this DiscussionAdd to this Discussion  
Mountain Lion Killing
T O P I C Discussion Started: 10-09-2007, 12:19 PM Add to the Discussion
Q
U
E
S
T
I
O
N
Colorado wildlife officials are considering whether to recommend charges against a man who says he shot a mountain lion that was attacking his puppy.

Do you think he should be charged? What are your thoughts about human interactions with Colorado wildlife?

View Messages: [newest first] | [oldest first]
cheesehead1 04-28-2008, 6:59 AM Add to the Discussion
I live in Wisconsin. First off, the gentleman in question probably could have used a more sensitive tone when defending his actions. We have the same controversy here just not with mountain lions. Here the center of attention are grey wolves. The mistake he made was leaving his dogs chained up outside. In the north in wisconsin, most people don't do that because of bears and wolves. However, if either attacks your pet on your property you have the right to kill it. That lion was going to keep hitting that neighborhood. Eventually a person could have been hurt.

Scat69 10-12-2007, 5:24 AM Add to the Discussion
Let?s look at the other side of the coin. If you or your child walked into the lion?s den do you think it would defend itself or its cubs? We all defend our lives and our property. This was an innocent situation and the shooter should not be punished for defending his property. And He was not baiting the lion. That statement is just plain stupid. I love nature and what it has to offer as much as the next guy, but let?s get real here.

WolfW 10-10-2007, 3:51 PM Add to the Discussion
There are inherent risks wherever we live. Suburbs, city, mountains, desert, tropics. Is it o.k. to allow a 8-9 month old puppy roam the streets in a city? How about a desert? What might happen if one put a hamster on a tether and the pet cat attack it? Is the cat euthanized for killing the hamster? Bad kitty. If Mr. Kocar was working in the woods on fire mitigation, he should also know wild life lives in the woods. That means his dogs can be attacked by wild life. If it weren't Mr. Mountain Lion, it could have been a coyote, or a bear who attacked the dog. People let their dogs run free in many places in the mountains. Many times they pack and kill other people's animals. Is this o.k. just so the dog can "run free"? Perspective: Only 20 deaths have occurred due to Mountain Lions since 1890. Half have happened in the past 10 years. There are 20 deaths annually due to dog attacks. Bigger picture for human deaths from animals: 720 venemous deaths annually; 1160 non-venemous deaths. A majority of these deaths are white males. ("Hey y'all! Watch this!"WinkThe Mountain Lion was invited to dinner and was killed. I wish folks would respect not only the wild life, but the animals who are taken into the mountains to live. Please, put your family pets safely away at night.

cheers,

fgd 10-10-2007, 11:21 AM Add to the Discussion
I live in the same kind of area. I am a Buddhist, a Democrat, an animal lover, and a gun owner.

It is regrettable that the animal could not have been tranked and relocated, but even in that case it is likely it would have found its way back among humans and been a nuisance again, given its previous history.

Therefore, I am glad that the problem animal is dead, and I would have done the same thing if I were in Mr. Kocar's shoes. Having mountain lions attacking people's pets inhibits the cause of animal lovers like myself. If we mandated that problem animals will be allowed to kill pets/livestock with impunity (by penalizing shooting them if they do so), then animal lovers like me have a harder sell to convince people to preserve mountain lion habitat - instead they say "Mountain lions are vermin, one killed my dog and I knew I'd get fined and jailed if I shot it. I won't give a dime to preserve their habitat."

snowman2u 10-09-2007, 10:24 PM Add to the Discussion
I don't feel that Jeremy should be fined. He did nothing wrong. If a bear attacks our children they are shot at and killed. I will protect my dogs, that is what we do, An animal lives and breathes too.

Nancy

shbdogsled 10-09-2007, 8:03 PM Add to the Discussion
Yes he should be charged. When humans are in wildlife's backyard, the people need to take responsibility for their actions. A Mtn lion is a natural preaditor and people need to accept that risk when they get away from urban development.

Thank You

Jay Golden CO

rrm57 10-09-2007, 7:58 PM Add to the Discussion
He absolutely should not be charged for shooting the mountian lion! His pet is a member of his family and he had every right to protect his puppy and his property! If the lion attacked and killed the puppy whast would be it's next victom?

bekkah

igolden 10-09-2007, 7:53 PM Add to the Discussion
I would of done the same. my dogs are my family. This man should not be charged for anything, If the mountain lion grabs a dog he will grab your kids. What is the matter with the thinking here will somebody please explain. He did what any of us would of done. You must thank him for killing the cat because it would of been one of your kids.

Iris Goldenberg

hauptmann 10-09-2007, 6:03 PM Add to the Discussion
Moutain lions have been protected for so many years that they have forgotten that they are not the top of the food chain. They have also expanded to areas where they were not a threat before. There should be a limited season on them, both for their protection and for ours. If this man should be cited for anything, it should be for chaining his dog outside. I am a fifth-generation Coloradoan, and I would have shot the lion.

shafaye 10-09-2007, 5:46 PM Add to the Discussion
Don't you know if that mountain lion would attack that dog, it would also attack a child or an adult.

shafaye

Page 1 of 3 << Prev Page | Next Page >>