Top | Register | Preferences | Suggest Discussion | Discussion Policy | Log In

Discussion group:  News And ViewsTop   Discussion group:  News And Views News And Views    Discussion Topic: Pit Bull Controversy Pit Bull Controversy

next (older) discussion >>

Reply to this DiscussionAdd to this Discussion  
Pit Bull Controversy
T O P I C Discussion Started: 02-20-2007, 12:12 PM Add to the Discussion
Q
U
E
S
T
I
O
N
Share your thoughts on pit bulls.

View Messages: [newest first] | [oldest first]
ASKOLI 10-18-2008, 3:44 PM Add to the Discussion
In our world today it is starting to show that we trust our pets more then our family & friends. So! this is a wake up call to everyone that have pets to remember pets are just pets not people that we need to care about more then we do our pets.

Have a bless day

Pitbull03 10-18-2008, 3:16 PM Add to the Discussion
I am a Pit bull owner of 3. I have two males and one female. I get so tired of hearing on the news how bad pit bulls are. They are only as bad as the owner lets them be. You know if you back me in the corner and don't feed me or are mean to me eventually I would have enough since to come out fighting for my life. If you actually look it up there are more dog bits from German Shepard?s than any other breed. Oh but you wont hear about those breeds on the news only when Pit bulls bit. People are so ignorant about this breed. They are taking out their frustrations on them when they should be concerned about the people who own them.

penderpits 10-16-2008, 9:18 PM Add to the Discussion
My husband and I are the responsible owners of two pit bulls, (one purebreed, one mix). I will be the first to say.... pit bulls are not for everyone. A pit bull is not the kind of breed that you chain to a tree and feed once a day and walk it when it is convenient for the owner. A pit bull requires a lot of attention and needs to be with it's "pack" at all costs. Early obedience is essential and boundaries must be set. The media needs to have some responsibilty too. Was this dog a male or female? Was he/she nutered/spayed? if female was she in season? if a male was he near an in season female? What was the home life of this dog? And most important of all...was this breed really a pit bull? Pit bulls are frequently misidentified, look at the Boxer, American Bulldog, Cane Corsio, and Bullmastiff....they look similar to a pit bull don't they? Another responsibility needs to be with the person coming near a dog. Did you ask the owner if you may approach the animal. Parents, do you teach your children to ask before they pet? Never assume the owner is responsible enough to socalize their animal to numerous situaions, espically children. Needless to say this topic is near and dear to me. I do not want BSL (breed specific legislation) to come into my home and take my animals, but continued irresponsible ownership can allow that to happen one day. Please educate yourself before judging the pit bull breed, they are awesome animals if raised in a loving home with rules and leadership.

21angel 10-16-2008, 6:03 PM Add to the Discussion
i have a pit bull i've raised since he was 5 weeks old ..he is the most loyal sweetest dog i've ever owned .and i've owned serveral differant breeds...he is 7 monthes old now ....he has the best personality .....i think its all in how a pit or any other breed is raised as to how aggressive he can become all breeds NEED plenty of love and excercise and be taught manners almost as you would a child .....pits do get a bad rap ....i used to think that way till my son brought my lil baby to my door......treat them right and they will be the best friend you could ever ask for

lisa sexton

wordman06 07-29-2008, 10:19 PM Add to the Discussion
I listen alot to the news and it does seem everytime a child is attacked the child has gone into where a pitbull has been chained and either hit the dog or something else to make the dog upset.I also never see where the childs parents has been supervising,its always the same story "I just turned my back for a minute".If my dog or dogs were on my property and your child came in my yard and aggravated the dog and it bit or mauled the child there is no way I would put my dog down.Its time parents take responsibility for their own stupidity and actions.However if my dog got out and attacked you or your child in your own yard then I would have the dog put down....

thanks for listening, Ronnie

NikkiLee3 05-05-2008, 9:27 PM Add to the Discussion
i happened to live on Rocky's property and i would like for everyone to know that most of the dogs shown on t.v were one's that freshly broke chain, as in got loose and got tangled with other dogs. i do NOT condone animal cruelty but those dogs were not as bad off as news and other media made it out to be. please, take my word for it. everyone of those dogs can be adopted, granted maybe not to people with other animals but they definitly show love NOT aggression to humans.

Nikky

dkhp1127 04-15-2008, 8:25 AM Add to the Discussion
That dog needs to be destroyed. The next time it breaks lose there could be a child outside. And I am sure that there will be a next time since the owner has already been told before. She/He obviously did not learn their lesson. There is already enough stories of defenseless children being attacked and killed by dogs, especially pit bulls.

hondarebel 04-14-2008, 10:12 PM Add to the Discussion
I have a 3 pit bulls. 1 of which was rescued from a fighting ring. she is the most loyal and trustworthy dog i have. she has been with us for 10 years now. my daughter is only 8 and this dog has never been agressive toward her or anyone else. my god son was only a year old when he sat down on my dog and took her ear and was grinding his teeth into her ear and she just laid there. do not blame the breed! these dogs are no different than any other dog they just need to be loved. why do we never see the pictures of so called pit bulls? most of the time when you do see pics they aren't pit bulls at all. these reporters need to do some research on their breeds. AKC has a wonderful informative website.

adeaton333 03-01-2008, 7:55 PM Add to the Discussion
yet another story of kids being where they dont belong. every time i hear these stories, it seems kids were where they didnt belong--on other peoples property. And the dogs have to pay for it.

JairiRai 02-29-2008, 11:20 PM Add to the Discussion
It's very sad what these breeds are going through right now. Most people can not truly identify a Pit Bull, so I do have to wonder (without seeing pictures) if the dogs in these stories really are even Pit Bulls or mixes.

But any dog that is not bred and raised properly is going to have problems. Most Chihuahuas I know are evil manbiters... why? Because people think it's cute to have a little evil dog. Were chihuahuas born this way? No, but people are raising them to be like that and then breeding mean dogs to each other. Same with Pit Bulls. They were originally bred to fight other dogs, yes - but aggression to HUMANS and ANIMALS is not the same. These dogs were bred to be gentle with people, because dog fighters often had to stitch up dogs without the use of numbing or pain medication. How could they have done that if their own dog was trying to eat them? They couldn't, and manbiters weren't tolerated. These days, the people breeding Pit Bulls don't know what they are doing... plain and simple. Most owners aren't equipped to recognize the warning signs of a dog who is going to bite - attacks are never "without warning."

I have 5 Pit Bulls and mixes. I also have a 4 month old son. http://s268.photobucket.com/albums/jj28/J_Chevy/

Page 1 of 8 << Prev Page | Next Page >>